The Low at Vermilion

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Dear Ian,

Undeniably strange, hearing your voice
and knowing you're a stone-skip away
in KL. Getting here is nothing from there.
I hope you make it. I've been baking
bread. That's my religious life now. The smallest
of creative acts repeated daily. Antibiotic
for the soul. I'm teaching the boys.
They bellow oui chef! when I sling them
across the kitchen for milk. Of course
they bellow everything in the good natured
brutal way of much loved boys. Oscar
will tell anyone his dad is crazy. It's my
theory that the world's carved up between
gross millionaires and needlepoint
collectivists. How'm I supposed to
believe that? he says. Look around I
tell him. But forget analysis. The trick is living
a free life amidst all this and baking your
own bread is just the start. Resistance Oscar,
it's what I keep telling him. Don't buy their bread.

I doubt he's listening but surely something's
sinking in?

Get here, ok?

Ben

4 Comments:

  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What, you're writing prose poems to other men now? I came second in a triathlon yesterday. There were only about 20 people in it, including a remarkable guy with cerebral palsy, and as far as I could tell the man who came third had a faster time than me. But I have a medal nonetheless, and it says second place. Write a poem about that, fat head!

    And hi, and stuff.

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Prose poem?

    If there was any such thing, and I wrote one, I would finally admit the United Nations had a purpose, which would be to get their UNESCO thugs to hunt me down and jackboot my behind into jelly, the mostly ineffectual nazi bastards.

    I'm not saying they're any good, mind, just that they're no' prose poems, right?

    Congratulations on the triathlon. I can't see how he could have gone faster than you, or else he'd have been second.

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I walk into a Glasgow pub and call someone a prose poet, will I be treated to the local 'kiss'?

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Jamie said…

    They're all poetry ponces in Glasgow now. Black turtlenecks and berets, knaw? I mean I like Belle and Sebastian but they've ruined to place for tourism. People have to travel as far afield as Soweto and or/ Nottingham to see the kind of mindless self destruction the weegies were once famous for.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home