The Low at Vermilion

Friday, December 05, 2008

Looking forward to tapering.

No training yesterday at all, but my quads are still sore today. Is this carryover from Tueday's bike reps (in which case, they were more demanding than I thought) or from Wednesday's night run (which didn't feel demanding at all)? Not sure, but somehow I still feel confident that I'm doing the right kind of training. I think there are some key concepts that I'm sure I harp on again and again and again, but at least right now I have them very well built into my training.

1. Keep the schedule flexible and organised around "key sessions"; for me, this means at least one taxing tempo run, one session of 800s, and one session of long reps on the race course itself. (More thoughts on that later.)

2. Race specific speed. I think this is to be avoided during the base building or endurance phase, in favour of long times out on the hill. But now, with the race close, I'm fine tuning my target pace with the calculator and lots of practice on the course. These sessions feel efficient and worthwhile and, I suppose, are the root of my confidence. I'm getting more than used to the actual feelings I will induce in the race.

3. The bike. No more of the long indoor rides I did back in September. Now it's, again, all about simulating the intensity of the race in gradually lengthening chunks. These sessions build from one to another. Three weeks ago it was 10 equal reps/ rests of about 2min30 to 3min. The following week, 10 reps but the efforts started out equal to the rests, and gradually lessened while the rests shortened. By the end, I was at effort for nearly 5 minutes with a < 1 minute rest. Very important session. The next week, two long 15 minute reps with a five minute rest in between (the rest being spinning at the same rate but in one gear up). These sessions really bring on the lactic, but without the pounding of reps run on a hard surface, or even a track.

4. Weight. Keep it down, including muscle mass. Increase upper body strength by hill sprints (neuro-muscular proramming, improved muscle mass recruitment).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home